Thursday, February 9, 2012

"Recycled seed starting containers"

  If you are going to start you seed from seed here is a good step by step guide from, Botanical Interests, this is also a good site to order seeds from. There are many good seed distributors out there. I just have a friend that works there and I like to support. Also if you will start paying close attention to my posts, I will be posting a "free give away" in the very near future. So be on the watch out!
  I just wanted to give a few DIY tips and ways to recycle things around the house to start your seeds in. You can use just about anything to start your seeds in. Plastic pots or containers are preferable to clay pots when starting seeds, as they retain moisture more consistently. Wide, shallow containers prevent both overcrowding of seedlings and excessive moisture around fragile, young roots. Plants that resent root disturbance when transplanted are best sown into small, individual containers like cell packs or plug trays. Recycled plastic containers, like empty yogurt or margarine tubs and egg cartons work well, too, provided you've poked holes in the bottom for drainage.No matter what type of container you use, it must be clean and free of pathogens. To sanitize a container, soak it in a 10 percent bleach solution for 15 minutes and let it air dry.
  Here is an interesting container that we all see at the store that make a neat little greenhouse altogether. These are the containers that most veggies come in, in the store or maybe you get a salad in them at a drive thru, maybe even your bought your Wal-Mart fried chicken in one! These already have holes for water drainage and for air ventilation. Only fill it up half way with dirt so your plants have a little room to grow before you have to transplant the.

  You can even use your news papers to make little stater pots, I even saw a lady on another blog using the pagers of her old phone book! Awesome idea, I thought!
  These are just a few ideas on how to recycle containers for seed starting. I would like to see anymore ideas!  And read more for a great opportunity with other bloggers!
 Also to find other blogs that you may enjoy and also its a good way to meet other bloggers of the same interest click on this link and follow the instruction! Fridays Photo Blog Hop No. 5  God Bless you in this Day!

 2 Corinthians 5:17 "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new."

26 comments:

  1. Great tips! I will be incorporating some of those myself. I just hate waste and using those 'clam shell' containers form the grocery store is a good idea. You could even make a terrarium with tiny plants, lol. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you could! I even saw someone using paper towel rolls, cut to size and filled with dirt!

      Delete
  2. What a great way to repurpose those containers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, we need to have a re-purpose "Blog Hop". Only articles on recycling for another purpose, what do you think?

      Delete
  3. Good tips! I've made started pots by soaking newspaper and wrapping it around a can before, but this is nice because it's a bit less prep work. :) Found you on Rural Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in! and for sharing your tip. I hope we can learn from each other!

      Delete
  4. Good ideas. I've used the centers of toilet paper rolls. Just cut in half and you have two. They work really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to try this - and to use pages from a stack of old phone books that I haven't yet taken to the recycle center. Great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charade, I saw the phone book Idea on another blog, I thought it was genius!

      Delete
  6. We use recycled containers as much as possible! Thank you for your practical insights to gardening life.
    Today I share the Versatile blogger award with you. Please drop over for details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will read more about it in the morning! Thank you so much, Its an honor. But I still have much to learn from experts like you!

      Delete
  7. Hi Clint,
    Great ideas, as usual. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heidi! You have a blessed week as well.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for your comments about my toilet paper seed pot tutorial on my blog. And I love the clamshell containers as little greenhouses. The toilet paper roll pots fit right inside of them. Also, every time we go to a birthday party where there's a store bought cake (pretty often with a preschooler and 1st grader)I ask for the clear cake cover tops if they're throwing them away. They're perfect for fitting over any other container full of seed starting pots. I love your idea for a re-purpose blog hop too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea, Those would really work as bigger greenhouses! I think sharing all these different ideas are very cool. I pulled to chairs out of the trash and in a few weeks you will have to see what I am doing with one. I will post it!

      Delete
  9. Good ideas! I've been wanting to try the newspaper pots this year. Last year I did the toilet paper roll ones and they didn't hold up to being wet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used the news paper before they work well but if too moist will split but that okay because you can plant straight in the ground! I am gonna try the paper towel rolls at least a few to see what happens! Thank you for stopping in, I hope you follow along!

      Delete
  10. I have never heard about using the yellow pages but think about how many are thrown out every day and put in dumpsters....what a clever idea! I will be on the look out for your giveaway and thanks for linking up to "The Ole' Saturday Homesteading Trading Post" blog hop at Lil'Suburban Homestead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we get four phone books every year, all different. And does anyone really use them anymore? Also, How do I get a button from your blog hop to post? I couldn't find the link.

      Delete
  11. What a great blog, so much great information here!! Thanks so much for visiting me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome and the same to you. If you haven't already don't for get to enter the give away!

      Delete
  12. Stopping by from The Ultimate Blog Party & LOVE your blog!! As an eco-crazy mom, I'm always looking for new ways to recycle & love all of these great ideas. I would love for you to come visit me at http://www.EcoCrazyMom.com, and would welcome a guest post on any other eco-gardening tips if you're interested!

    ~Terri
    @EcoCrazyMom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Terri! I emailed you and now follow your blog!

      Delete