Saturday, March 17, 2012

Bathing in a Rain Barrel!

  This has been a long past 2 days! For starters, all my wife wanted for her birthday was our bedroom repainted. Which I love to paint so it was an easy gift for me to give her. Let me tell you, it turned out much better then I thought it would, she has a remarkable way of putting colors and things together. Well, we got everything out, primed and painted and everything put back in and she got the house cleaned all in 13 hours. I thought that was pretty good timing! 
  So on to the reason why it is titled "Bathing in a Rain Barrel". Sometime after non yesterday, we started loosing our city water pressure. Yes, we had another water main break! I got my shower before it went out,  :-)! But.....I can't say the rest of the family did! It wouldn't have been so bad but my wife had somewhere to be and my son had to work today. I looked at my wife and said, "I have 110 gallons of rain water" and to my surprise she gave me a large pan and said, "go fill it up"
  See, her dad was a Boy Scout Master and she had been drug on many camping trips and had bathed in many creeks. After she got done with her bath she said, "everyone should have a rain barrel for emergencies".  So here is another great reason to have rain barrels, they come in handy during emergencies and make you more sustainable! If you wanted to use the water for drinking water, you could also use a good water filtration system to filter the water. To read my post on how to make a rain barrel, Click Here!
  This is just another way that our Lord will provide for us in time of need! God tells us not to worry, that He will provide those things which we need, not want, just as He does for the birds of the air. As you go through this day look at what all our Lord has provided for you and thank Him! I hope you all have a blessed and wonderful weekend!

“The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake.” Psalm 23:1-3

27 comments:

  1. Now that's what I call a real woman! And why can't more men love to paint - as in the one I'm married to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to paint and she says I am really good but she also says that I am messy!

      Delete
  2. I love it and you wife is a real trooper! I now am going to read about your rain barrel. Thanks for the post. Yes the Lord always provides!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it must be the season! I just finished gutting and painting my bedroom and all by myself. Give yourself a big pat on the back for helping your wife! Now I'm working on all of the outdoor plants that I drug into my sun room this fall. Many of my beautiful sedums winter over perfectly.

    I have a dream of finding a nice cast iron tub and placing it outside for a summer soak....Could even put it adjacent to the rain barrel for an easy fill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out so good! You will have to make that dream a reality!

      Delete
  4. Heh, we're painting too!! You have a whiz of a wife, cause it will take me days to get this place sorted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever use of the rain water! Great that you had so much extra water! Nothing like good old rain water to freshen yourself up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had enough that the neighbors were using it as well.

      Delete
  6. Hello Clint, over from Sunlit Sunday. A great story about the painting project and the rain barrel. I keep one for watering plants when we are in a dry season here. Never had to use it inside as of yet. We used to take baths in big tin tubs when I was a young girl. Faith tells us we are always under His protection. Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are, as His children, we go through nothing without Him by our side. Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete
  7. What a great story! I think I need a rain barrel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really easy to make and rather inexpensive. I got the barrels free and I think the hardware was 10.00!

      Delete
  8. Love the idea of the rain barrel. I have a small pail I catch rain water in. But I think I need a big barrel. Yours sure came in handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they did, for my family and my neighbors! I think the whole neighborhood is going to make one know!

      Delete
  9. I was not going to let a little thing like having no water keep me from going to my once a month Sampler club meeting (needlework) that I look forward to every month.
    I am a city girl all the way, if you would call our area the city LOL. I like being close to everything, and I love modern conveniences but when those conveniences aren't there we have to have a way to adapt, which sometimes means taking a bath in rain water.

    I don't like camping or cleaning up in creeks but I am glad my dad made me go on those trips because I learned to rough it if I have to. I guess if a girl can sleep out under the stars with no shelter but a sleeping bag and a air pad on North Fork mtn. with no water but what can be carried in surrounded by boyscouts she goes to school with she can take a bath in a bucket. I pretty much despised my dad for that one for a long time!!

    So long story short, if you don't have rain barrels get at least one! And it's not a bad idea to have a collection of milk jugs filled with water ready to go just in case, not sure how long they keep but you could write the date on them and use them after a period of time to water the plants and refill them. I'm not saying you need a shed full of them but maybe 5 to 10 would be enough to get through a day or two for drinking and cooking with the rain water for flushing and baths.

    Oh and one more thing, washing your hair in a creek with camp suds (product you can wash dishes, yourself and brush teeth with) makes your hair so soft and shiny, but it's cold, even in the summer! I guess you could say it's invigorating! And for the record we wore our swim suits to take a bath in the creek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy if that doesn't sell the rain barrel nothing will, lol! She is a trooper folks!

      Delete
  10. Hi Clint,
    I am sure sad to hear about that water main, but you and are one smart cookies and you and the family were troopers. My hubby joined an emergency preparedness group and he is going to get a used water tank this weekend for just such an occasion. We average about 11 inches of rain annually so rain barrels might not be practical, I need to research it and make sure which is best. Thanks for the link. I hope we never have to find out how well it works, but just in case, like you, we plan to be ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We joked about drilling a water well out back!But maybe we will just use a tank!

      Delete
  11. I can tell already... I like your wife!! If we lived close by, I'm sure we'd be friends! Thanks for a great story and a good reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a good women. She puts up with me, lol!

      Delete
  12. Rainwater is great for hair washing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty cool! I can see where that would be useful! I've been going around dumping out standing rainwater from several places on my yard and feeling sort of wasteful pouring good water into already soaked ground. But otherwise we get mosquitos. How do you prevent mosquitos from growing in it?


    Funny Story: I grew up on a boat, and we didn't have a rain barrel, but we had a water tank, which we would fill from our hose to take our showers. Of course, babies and little kids usually don't take showers, and my mom wanted to make sure I could do that too. Boats rarely come with baths and ours was no exception, so she improvized. I took a bath in a metal tub that looked a lot like that barrel above, only in steel. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any opening on the barrel has a double application of window screen on it! That keeps mosquito's and debris out!

      Delete