Thursday, March 29, 2012

Beating "Jack Frost"

  This is the time of year when you plant and then worry about old "Jack Frost". But don't worry there are many ways to beat that cold snap that knocks out your favorite veggie, fruit tree or perennials! You can use commercial row covers, news paper, bed sheets, burlap sacks, Cloches, plastic, anything really to protect your tender plants from Jacks bite! There are many good places to buy Row Covers! But sometimes we don't have things large enough or even enough of to cover everything! So here is a tip that dad taught me that you can do in a pinch.
  This seems to go beyond all good reasoning when it comes to freezing but to it is something that even your fruit farmers have done for years. The night before go out and mist everything down with a water hose or sprayer! I have heard people say you can do this really early of the morning, way before the sun comes up, but that's not what I was taught. The reasons plants or fruits are damaged by the cold temps is because the cold draws moisture from inside the plants, kinda like freeze-drying them. The colder it gets on the surface of the leaf, the more damage is done to the plant. A coating of ice keeps the temperature on the surface of the leaf to the freezing point of water or a little below. So if it goes much below 32 degrees, you would probably have better luck with covering them with something. Like I said it doesn't make logical since but it does help!
  Before you try this please read this more in depth article by the West Virginia Agricultural Engineers, "FROST PROTECTION WITH SPRINKLER IRRIGATION"!

  Also while ready different articles about this a few weeks back I stumbled across this Video and article you may what to watch. I have never tried or this! This Botanists developed a spray that, when misted over a plant, will help it endure temperatures 2.2 to 9.4 degree. "Anti-Freeze For Your Plants Botanists Develop 'Antifreeze' Spray for Plants"

 Proverbs 25:25 "As cold water to a weary soul, So is good news from a far country."


15 comments:

  1. I have always used frost cloth (we don't get frost often around here), but had not heard of watering the plants to protect them. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grapes are the worst to try to save, I think! They're so sprawly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could have done with reading this the other day before the frost killed all my daffodils that were in flower {SIGH}

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting! I've just been bringing mine in at night when it's that cold. Fortunately, I haven't forgotten to yet...but it's always a possibility, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! But its hard to bring in fruit trees and such! LOL

      Delete
  5. This is an interesting technique. My fil always sprayed before sunrise. Sometimes it didnt work though.

    Thanks for stopping by my site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was talking to a fruit farmer yesterday and he told me thats how he has always don it. He said usually around 3am! I bit early for me, I will stick to the night time spray! lol

      Delete
  6. That is really interesting! The anti-freeze thing is a little scary, though. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially for all of us that try to be as organic as possible!

      Delete
  7. Time to patch things up, maybe, with the first sexcam integration
    live on Yappem, a B2 B social network, and an unfortunately small power button that's flush with the chassis.

    My web blog :: sexcams

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hence, it was about 10:30 and I was so embarrassed when people would come over and use the 1/2 bath.
    Castle's Shield Conditions: - Completed" Talk with Veronif" task Reward: - None Content: - Go to Lucifer Castle. When you finish your last block you will have a dictionary that can be used to top the cupcakes, I sprinkled the remaining pecans over the icing. See Nathaniel Branden, Honoring the self, New York: Telefonsex W.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For now, suffice it to say Telefonsex that in Piaget's theory, operative knowledge is where the candle will sit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For now, suffice it to say Telefonsex that in Piaget's theory, operative knowledge is where the candle will sit.

    ReplyDelete