Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Blessed Assurance


 "Blessed Assurance"

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.

Refrain

This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior, all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior, all the day long.

Perfect submission, perfect delight,
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
Angels descending bring from above
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.

Refrain

Perfect submission, all is at rest
I in my Savior am happy and blest,
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.

Refrain


About the writer and composer:



  The hymn "Blessed Assurance" was written by Fanny J. Crosby and composed by Phoebe P. Knapp. The scripture reference is found in Hebrews 10: 22 "Let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water." 
  In the latter half of the 19th century, gospel music was an important form of Christian hymnody. One of the hymn writers, Fanny J. Crosby, truly captured the spirit of the American gospel song movement at that time.
  Frances Jane Crosby (March 24, 1820 - February 12, 1915), known as Fanny Crosby, was an American lyricist and Methodist, best known for writing Protestant Christian hymns. Despite her blindness which she acquired shortly after birth, she was one of the most prolific hymn writers in history, having written over 8,000 hymns. One of the best known women in the US, Crosby was also known for preaching and public speaking.

  I just thought this would be encouraging for today! God Bless!


10 comments:

  1. An old fav, Blessed Assurance. I frequently find myself whistling hymns as I work in the garden, as my mother used to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly love this hymn. It was sang at my father's funeral. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this hymn - there's so much encouragement in it!Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of those oldies but goodies. The good ones always last.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that song. Great encouragement
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete