Monday, April 23, 2012

Harvested Radishes

Out of My Garden!
  Radishes are one of the best things to give kids to plant, to can get them interested in gardening. Radish's are a cool-season, fast-maturing, easy-to-grow vegetable. Garden radishes can be grown wherever there is sun and moist, fertile soil, even in containers on the deck. Early varieties usually grow best in the cool days of early spring, but some later-maturing varieties can be planted for summer use. The variety French Breakfast holds up and grows better than most early types in summer heat if water is supplied regularly. Winter radishes are sown in midsummer to late summer, much as fall turnips. They are slower to develop than spring radishes; and they grow larger, store longer, and hold in the ground better then spring varieties.

Some spring varieties are: Burpee White,Champion,Cherry Belle,Easter Egg,Fuego,Plum Purple,Snow Belle. 
For Spring or Summer Use: French Breakfast,Icicle. 
Winter (for storage) are: China Rose,Chinese White,Round Black Spanish,Tama Hybrid

 Sow seed 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep. Thin spring varieties to 1/2 to 1 inch between plants. Winter radishes must be thinned to 2 to 4 inches, or even farther apart to allow for proper development of their larger roots. On beds, radishes may be broadcast lightly and thinned to stand 2 to 3 inches apart in all directions. (Copied from the back of a pack of seeds from Botanical Interests! Just keep the soil moist and enjoy!  You can apply ¼ cup per 10 foot of row of a nitrogen-based fertilizer (21-0-0) after they pop up to encourage rapid plant growth.
 There is only really one issue with pest that you could have, that I know of and that is "Root Maggots" may tunnel into radishes.  There are only 2 ways that I have read of to handle root maggots. 1) "Rove Beetles" can be introduced to the garden, 2) Diatomaceous Soil can be worked into the soil, it kills them naturally, by dehydrating it! I have always just let God take care of them and they have turned out just fine!

36 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried groeing them in Ice cream containers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never have but that sounds like an interesting way to do it.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for mentioning radishes! I knew there was something I was missing when I planted last week. I did the spinach/peas/bok choy/swiss chard, but couldn't remember radishes. Guess I will be looking for seeds this week, and hopefully the rain will let up next weekend for me to get them in the ground!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful radishes Clint. We tried winter radishes for the first time last fall and were very happy with them. I love anything that can overwinter here, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have planted radishes 3 times now, because my middle daughter wants to taste them. Twice I had total failure (not even one plant up). This time I only got about 5 plants out of 32 planted and they look really spindly. I don't know if they will produce to harvest or not. I will try again, since she likes them so much. I don't know what we are doing wrong with them. It may be too hot. It got into the high 80's right away this spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you may have just bought a bad batch of seeds, that happens. What kind of radishes are they?

      Delete
  5. Hope you and yours have a blessed day, Clint. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I planted some radishes last week and am going to plant some more soon. I think it's good for adults too, something popping up quickly while you are waiting impatiently on all of the other things to come in :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I planted some radishes a couple weeks ago and am going to plant some more at different points so we can have fresh radishes all summer. I think it's good for the grown ups to plant radishes too because we have something popping up while we are impatiently waiting on all the other things to come in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. We do get impatient somethings!

      Delete
  8. Aren't they beautiful! My fall radishes were wonderful, however, the spring radish planting fell victim to heavy rains and ended up all greens no root.
    Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happened to me 2 years ago! Just plant again!

      Delete
  9. I love radishes. I distinctly remember how, as a child, I had a radish garden out behind our garage. It was the first thing I ever planted, and it turned out spectacularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Clint, glad to hear from you! That was the first thing I planted as well.

      Delete
  10. Oh how I love radishes.
    Picked my first ones of the season today.
    Good radish info!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your radishes are beautiful. Ours are growing fast and I can't wait until we can harvest them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You will have to share a picture of them when you do!

      Delete
  12. Thanks for linking up to Your Cozy Home Party, Clint. Those radishes look fresh, delicious and healthy for you. I have always liked radishes even as a child. Many of my friends wouldn't dare eat one but I thought they were good and still do. I hope your weather is warmer where you garden because here in my area of the south it has turned very cool. I don't think frost is expected but I covered some plants just in case. Have a good week! ------ Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  13. As you can see from my blog, you are a bit ahead of me in production, but we are cetainly thinking alike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it wont be long and you will have an abundance!

      Delete
  14. Radishes are one of the few veggies that just aren't my thing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a newly discovered love of radishes in my salad (both roots and greens). Extra greens we send to the lady across the street for her chickens. For the first time this year we're growing them and the crop is great. (We sow 16 seeds to one square foot.)Thanks for the variety information, it's just what we're looking for. Jo @ Let's Face the Music

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the great info...have a blessed week!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never tried growing radishes. You make it look so easy that I think I should try it. I just don't have a lot of garden space and usually just buy them at the farmers market.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very interesting. I should let my grandchildren plant some radishes. I had not thought of how quickly they might enjoy their work. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is interesting, great info, I guess Im about a good month or 2 behind all ya'll!!
    Blessings~
    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  20. Enjoyed your article. We are in the process of building a new home and will miss the spring growing season. Thanks for the suggested winter radishes. I live in Utah and was wondering if these will do as a fall planting?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Clint, just want to inform you that I featured your blog on my Saturday Features post. I hope it brings you some more readers although you seem to be doing fine. You may display my featured button on your blog if you like. Thank you for participating in Your Cozy Home Party. ------------- Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  22. We're not big on radishes in my house, so I haven't grown them much. This year, though, I'm growing some "French Bfst." types that I heard are milder than the regular ones. We'll see - I've got just a short row of them growing. Thanks for sharing, Clint!

    ReplyDelete