Saturday, April 14, 2012

The "Sink or Float" Tip!

  Just a quick trick that I remember either Aunt Annice or Grammy doing, I really can't remember which but I guess it doesn't matter! Take the seeds that you saved from last year and toss them in a bowl of water. If the sink to the bottom they have a good chance of sprouting and growing big and strong. Those that float just scoop them out and through away, they probably won't do much. This is to how to check seeds for "viability" or in terms I can understand, "If they are gonna sprout or not"! If anyone has any other tips for this please share with us!






Matthew 17:20 "So Jesus said to them, “Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you."


Linked Up With:
Barn Hop 58 
Garden Showcase 

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for this tip, Clint. I always just assumed that you had to take your chances and plant them all, but I like this idea better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Charade, It seems to work, I don't belive it is 100% but other than Jesus what really is?

      Delete
  2. What an awesome site! My grandfather {may he rest in peace} loved gardening. I think it was his way of forgetting the war he was a medic in.

    Stopping by from UBP. I just joined this year.

    I can be found here:
    https://twitter.com/#!/Kittyb78
    http://www.facebook.com/KittyB78
    http://kittyb78.wordpress.com/2012/04/14/ultimate-blog-party-2012/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with Charade, I always just plant and hope for the best! This is a great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting your site from UBP12. What a great tip..I'll be revisiting your site because I'm a new to working in God's green earth person and have much to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping in and come back often!

      Delete
  5. Great tip! I'll be using this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woowho! I just usually plant extra seeds to "cover all my bases" but this might be a better idea. Plus, the seeds get a little pre-soak too. Never hurts to pre-soak a seed before planting.

    BTW: In all my seeds starting inside I planted several varieties from 2009 and every single seed germinated. I was VERY surprised. I had planted up to 4 seeds per start to make sure I'd get something. It hurt to thin those little guys out! (sniff)

    Take care!
    Dee

    PS-Thanks for stopping by my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping in Dee! That is amazing about the 2009 seeds, I guess we really don't have any type of science where God is concerned, do we?

      Delete
  7. Hi Clint
    So glad you stopped by my blog. I'm now following your gardening blog and look forward to reading your posts!

    This is a neat tip...I will definitely try this on my saved seeds!

    Congratulations on your blog award from Sue @Little Shack On The Hill

    ReplyDelete