Monday, April 16, 2012

My neighbor and His Raised Bed

  Well, you have met my wife. Now meet my neighbor and good friend Jason. We kinda inspire each other in our gardens and other aspects of our lives. His son makes fun of us all the time but we give it right back to him. Jason is very smart and an always thinking kind of guy. Always trying to come up with a better way of doing things. He is like me, a "Jack of all trades and a Master of none". I want to show all of you how he took, basically all the ideas we have talked about in gardening,  into one bed. He plans to expand and continue with the techniques of gardening. So here is a step by step of his latest raised bed!
  Other Posts on Raised Beds: "Pros and Cons", "Coming Along","Dirt Cheap"!
How can I make this work?




The frame w/ chicken wire














  As you can see, Jason did a lot of thinking, where we do most of our best thinking, lol! His was in the front lawn! That's just how we do things in West Virginia, lol!
  To frame he used 2x4's and chicken wire. Then as you will see in the next pictures he used commercial grade weed barrier, like I used, to  hold the dirt in! He also used the "Hugelkultur, link" idea as a filler in the bottom of the bed, (used wood and scrap cardboard he had around the house).
Sides complete
Hugelkulture










  He used recycled potting dirt and dirt that was taken from his front yard when he had his new driveway poured to fill it the rest of the way up. So he had No cost in dirt! Here is a great video I found that he wants to incorporate into the next one, "Back To Eden"!
Recycled Potting soil

   Here is his final Raised Bed! If you will look closely, you may ask, "What are those white pipes for?" Well, those are his "Food Composter/Worm feeders". You use them by putting them down in the dirt as you see, they have to have holes in them (so the worms can get in). As you get table scraps you just remove the lids, drop the scraps in and its a open buffet for your worms! You can put them in  conventional garden's as well, I am sure!
  Here is a link for "Worm Tubes" and an earlier post "Worms champion composter".
  I think he told me he had about $50.00 in all of this. So see how easy and fun this can be. If you have anything to add or suggestions please feel free to add!
The completed bed. With the "Worm Buffets"!



  So you have met Jason a little and Have seen one of his creation's. He and his family are wonderful people. Always have been! I will say, when you find friends like them its a wonderful thing.
  “If you have two friends in your lifetime, you're lucky. If you have one good friend, you're more than lucky.”  -S.E. Hilton
 


Linked up with:
Garden Party Farmhouse Friday
Thursdays Treasure Hunt
Home and Garden Thursday
vintage-inspiration-84-garden
Farm Photo Friday
Friday Photo
Farmgirl Friday
Tuesdays Garden Party
Your Cozy Home Party
Barn Hop 58
Garden Showcase



39 comments:

  1. I really like the addition of tubes for worms. It isn't something I would ever think of. I think of vermicomposting as an under the sink kind of thing, not an outside in the garden kind of thing. But, this is definitely something I am going to look into for one of my new raised beds. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We came up with that after doing a little reseach!

      Delete
  2. That's really great. I'll have my husband look into the worm tubes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that how-to! We're also looking at practical applications for raised bed gardening. The addition of worms is brilliant! Thanks for sharing Jason's thinking process and building ideas with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like it. Give us your feed back after you do!

      Delete
  4. Very nice raised bed there- well put together and looks quite inviting for life and growth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. life is so much better when you have good neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a nifty raised bed and I really like the worm feeding tubes. I am going to read about them. Thank you for posting this helpful information. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried them myself, so give us feed back on them!

      Delete
  7. That's cool that you have a friend like that. Those kind of friends are keepers, for sure. Greetings from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you have a good friend and neighbor - we have one too. I like that idea of having raised beds high enough that you don't have to bend so low to tend to them. I have heard of the worm tubes - they sound like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting! I just ordered my compost worms and am hoping they'll like their new home. Now I'm interested in how others are doing this. I've not heard of worm tubes, but think it's a very clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you end up doing this let us know how it pans out!

      Delete
  10. One of the rewards of gardening is learning new and interesting ways to do it. The worm tubes is a new idea to me. It's very nice to have a neighbor that shares your love of gardening. We have a nice neighbor who is very helpful to us with almost any project we get into. We return the favor when he needs our help. That's the way it's supposed to be, isn't it? Gardeners are some of the nicest people around! Thanks for telling us about your friend at Your Cozy Home Party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How great to have a neighbor with similiar interests! I bet you two bounce ideas off each other a lot. Love the 'how to'. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we bounce stuff off each other all the time! We have fun with it!

      Delete
  12. Just a little #UBP12 fly by from McKinney Mommas! You have some great tips here...I have a tiny herb garden but would love to plant more. Come visit, and follow us on Google + when you have the chance!
    http://mckinneymommas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tell him to come build one for me now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My sister is doing a raised bed this year... I might have to join you all in the bandwagon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great ideas - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How cool! I have never heard of worm tubes before - fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jason is lucky to have a teacher and good neighbor like you, Clint! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, he teaches me a lot as well. As I do from all of you!

      Delete
  18. That makes so much sense, is so simple, and it makes one shake the old head and ask, "Why didn't I think of doing that?" I nearly always learn something from you, Clint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the complement! I learn so much from everyone here in the blogging world!

      Delete
  19. Very interesting. I like the plastic pipe idea for the worms. And only $50!!

    Thanks for linking up. (Don't forget to include the link back to Friday's Photo. ;) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't cost much to do these things! And I believe I did link back to you. :-)

      Delete
  20. Thanks so much for linking up to my photo linky party! Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well! I am quite impressed - very clever use of left-over garden material, cardboard etc...intrigued by the worm tubes - will share with my husband and his best buddy - a gardener too!
    I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday!
    God Bless,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Neat idea for the worms. We have to keep a closed compost here (coyotes and raccoons). It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you will notice, he put caps on them for the same reason.

      Delete